The Room of the Mysteries in the Borgia Apartments originally had a marble chimney installed at the beginning of the 19th century. During a restorative intervention between 1817 and 1821, the room was reassigned to house the Apostolic Library. It was at this time that the chimney apparently vanished. By will of Pope Leo XIII, who in 1889 moved the Library elsewhere, the area was cleared and restored. When the opening of the chimney was found in the Room of the Mysteries, it was reopened and decorated with the papal stem of Pope Alexander the VI.
This 2008 conservation was courtesy of The Minnesota/North Dakota Chapter of the Patrons of the Arts in the Vatican Museums.